10.09.2008

Our hooked stool

My great grandmother Margaret spent the last months of her life making this stool for me. I was three and she passed away just before Christmas. The family story I have been told is that she didn't get to finish the final assemblage, so the family (who?) finished it. When I opened the present on Christmas day I was excited and running around, but it was very bittersweet for all of the grown-ups.
I treasure this stool. It is craftily made from 6 coffee cans wrapped in red velvet. The top is made of an intricate hooked rug. The picture is of two birds.
Lili seems bound and determined to use this stool as an acrobatic tool despite the fact that she can't even walk. The stool now lives on the stairs with all the other "dangerous" items we have removed...

7 comments:

Erin said...

I never knew the story that went with that stool. Pretty cool and special. And I like the new look AND the Etsy shop! Yahoo!!!! You are one amazing woman Kelcey!

cara lou said...

What a sweet story. I'm a sucker for anything grandma-made. Love it!

William is also crawling up onto (or into) everything he can -- the dishwasher, nursing stool, laundry baskets, empty boxes, and keeps attempting the rocking chair.

Lilli is adorable!

cara lou said...

Oops! Lili. :)

Supria Karmakar said...

Love these stools...Jeff's grandmother made these too....Lili is so cute...A BIG CONGRATS on your new etsy shop..it looks awesome...love the pieces.
Supria

Anonymous said...

I have such a kinetic memory of the way that stool feels and looks, but I NEVER knew it was made out of coffee cans! Learn something new every day. And the new banner and shop! WHOOHOO!!! I love you and am so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

just waiting for dinner to be over so i can get that call back...

Anonymous said...

Love you, Kelcey!
Best wishes on your Etsy Shop!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo