10.17.2008

something i have carved time out for.

Spare time is proving to be an elusive thing around here. I have so many projects that I have my eye on that it is hard to chose how to spend my time. One project I have in mind is to fix up this wooden rocking horse I got at the goodwill. It is painted yellow, green, and red and I have many ideas to turn it into a funky, bright, and cute horse. I am thinking about making a little saddle for it too. I am also in the beginning stages of making Lili a pair of wool slippers. I am so excited about it. They are going to be light-blue with little red dots... She needs a warm pair of slippers to protect her from our concrete floor.
Another
project I have done a few times lately is to make bread. I hope this begins to fall into the day-to-day category rather than project category. Making bread from scratch is really not very hard, and it is so rewarding. I have had a lot of success with the buttermilk-honey bread from this bread book. Click here for the recipe. (for the egg wash I use 1 egg yolk, 1 T. of milk, and 1 T. of poppy seeds) I cheat and make instant buttermilk (by adding a little lemon juice to milk and letting it sit for five minutes). This time of year is just begging me to fill the house with scent of baking bread and squash soup bubbling on the stove. Here is a picture of an open-faced PB&J using Erin & Adam's yummy plum jam on a loaf I felt very pleased with.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Mmm...that looks good! Adam is also in the process of a project with Bread. I will him make his own comment about it though, since it's his bread project. But your bread sure does look yummy. Especially with that plum jam on it :-)

Anonymous said...

If Erin will me make my own comment, then make my own comment I must.

I just finished week one of growing my own desem. Tomorrow I will find out if I done good or not, as I'll use it as a starter for it's very first loaf. We shall see.

Since we're in the mood to link to amazon, here's the book I got my recipe from.

Happy baking!

Sweet Mess said...

Hmmm, I don't know what desem is... I will have to google it.

Alex and I want to make a sourdough starter. It is just a matter of our small and very full fridge. I have been trying to add whole wheat to my baking a lot more, but that honey-buttermilk is 100% not whole grain!

Linda said...

So... now you may understand the "why" of all of those sandwiches (lovingly created) packed in your lunch box (that were not popular for trading) that were whole grain, from-scratch breads - in the day-to-day category of things I loved to do oh so long ago...
(and ... without a Kitchen-Aide!)

Erin said...

Oh how our mothers were trying to be so healthy and good to us when we were in Elem. school and no one would trade with us. And look at us now!

Anonymous said...

Our kids won't be able to trade, either.

Desem.

Kat said...

what was my mom thinking, signing me up for all those hot lunches?!?!
When i did bring my own, I remember what i lusted for most as a lunch-trade item: those hard, crisp, supersalted potatoe sticks that came in a cardboard tube.
mmmmmmm
and to this day, chips are my biggest nyech-nyech food weakness....