2.09.2009

The Blackwater River



This black water river. This river of my childhood...
The top view is something I looked out upon on my way to and from walking to school: grades 2-12. Lili and I took a walk down to watch the sun set over the snow and Crystally water this afternoon. The two of us are preparing to leave New Hampshire in a couple days, and we are starting to say goodbye.
Good bye to the deep snow. To the northern friends. Goodbye to grandparents. and cable TV. Goodbye to Alex who is staying to work for a few more weeks...
When I saw these leaves frozen in the river I felt like it was my metaphor for the last 5 weeks here. To be back living in my childhood home, and so far away from my typical day to day life... I feel like I have been frozen in mid motion. Like someone pointed a magic wand at me as I was spinning along (perhaps out of control?) and said freeze!
Of course I have been homesick. and I have found myself getting a tad depressed at moments. But most of all I feel SO lucky to have had this break. To have my parents hug me every day. and love on Lilikoi... And be removed from all of the distractions of "home". To be able to financially get back on track. All of this has been a HUGE blessing. I would recommend trying to freeze your life sometime.
It is a pleasant surprise...

2 comments:

Linda said...

Starting the process of saying good-bye to you and your family has been a hard one for me. Part of me will freeze frame this past month in my heart forever. I'm feel so fortunate to have had you in our lives these past few weeks. Love you! And now you're off to where the daffodils are budding!

Erin said...

I often think about what it might be like to go home and live for a while. Both a blessing and yet hard because of where I have made my new home. I am glad that you got to be at home and see your parents every day. I am sure they loved every minute of being with you, Alex, and of course Lili! She is a lucky little girl to have such wonderful grandparents. Ok. I am rambling. Thanks for sharing a piece of my home too through your photos and stories of the last month.