5.21.2009

old friend and introductions

One of my dearest childhood friends was in town this past week. We hadn't seen each other in 2 1/2 years because we live on opposite sides of the country. In the time that has lapsed since we saw each other last we have both settled into our own homes and had babies. So not only was seeing each other special in itself, I finally got to meet her son Corbin, and Erin meet Lili for the first time. As the years pass and some friendships fade and some new friendships are formed, I am constantly amazed by my old friendships~ the ones that are formed in elementary school and are still as pertinent as ever. As Erin and I sat in my living room drinking wine and talking after that babies had gone to sleep, I realized that we have been a witness to so many stages of each one another's lives and all of the ups and downs and little bits in between. I was thinking:

She knows what my dollhouse looked like, she knows what it felt like to sleep on my water-bed when I was a kid, I remember what the pancakes tasted like on Saturday mornings at her house, She was the one to explain what it felt like to french kiss, She convinced me I would look great in a perm, I confided in her when my parents were in their messy divorce process, We rode bikes, we bought 1 cent candy together, we were in plays together, when we moved away from each other after high school we wrote letters, and we were in each other's weddings...

And so, when we tell each other something now, we have these 22 years of our own personal history to reflect on and drawn from as we talk. It was as if 2 1/2 days had passed instead of years. You know what I mean? It was a beautiful moment to meet her son, and introduce Lilikoi~ our friendship is expanding and deepening and we are getting older. The good kind of getting older.

8 comments:

Meghan said...

so glad you two finally got to see each other and meet each other's babies! They look awfully cute together!

Caren said...

What a great post! Just that first picture made me cry. It's wild that it's been so long since you've seen each other, but I have friends from college who I still keep in touch with, who have never met Clara. Aren't old friends the best? I love thinking of you two and your two little ones all together. Have a great rest of your visit!!!!
love,
Caren

PS :: Erin was the first person to show me how to stuff a bra. Ironically, we were both pre-pubescent and FAR from needing bras ourselves, but it seemed like a useful skill at the time... ;)

Caren said...

Also, Lili and Corbin look SOOO cute together!!!

Kat said...

little kids get all the cool shoes....! ;)
Thinking of you all, warmly.

Adam said...

French kissing and bra stuffing...

Ah...well...hmm...

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

One of the most precious things is to know someone for a long time.

Erin said...

I feel as though I am a corrupter! ha. Bra stuffing and french kissing. Hmmm is right!

It was sooo amazing to get to meet Lili and see you Kelcey. I LOVED it! Thanks for such a wonderful post. When I finally get mine done, I am sure I won't say it as well, and of course have too many pictures! love you and miss you already.

Sweet Mess said...

ahhh, you were hardly corrupting us Erin! Ha! SOMEBODY needed needed to teach us the good stuff!:)