9.14.2010

underpaintings.

You might be able to tell from my last artsy post that I am cluttered with ideas and thoughts about my artistic endeavors. And although I am grateful not to be bored, sometimes the constant flurry of stuff swirling around in my head is overwhelming.
So, I spent my studio time this week making under-paintings. Alex makes me these wonderful wooden 1.5" deep boxes to paint on. I often will cover the edges and top with a collage of simple papers and paint. This is the foundation of my paintings. The simplicity and craft of collaging papers, and using glue, and painting washes of acrylic and ink~ maybe a small pencil stroke... it is like a meditation to me. It is a nice "job" to do when I am too wound up to make sense to myself.

Later, the paintings unfold in different ways. Sometimes I create an under-painting with a specific pattern or image that will work into it. Most of the time however, it is the under-painting itself that asks to be a certain image.

These are 12" square to give you an idea of the size:sometimes I finish a painting and think to myself, hmmm... I liked the under-painting equally as much...

4 comments:

Missouri Bend Paper Works said...

These underpaintings are gorgeous. I've been drawn more and more lately to the very understated....and these are elegantly understated. I love your work, but had no idea they were so beautiful in all their stages!
There could be a whole body of work just with these underpaintings!

Supria Karmakar said...

These are wonderful...I love the simplicity and feel soothed just looking at them...
I know what you mean about having an overwhelming amount of ideas in your head..and doing this kind of thing, underpaintings, etc. for me it is puttering around the studio and cleaning up...that creates a sense of grounding again, meditation in the layering ...
thanks for sharing and your recent stop in..it has been a WHILE..
supria

Christina Rosalie said...

oooh, these are gorgeous. I'm so inspired by your art Kelcey!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your working techniques. I have been crafting a great deal lately but have not done much creating of artwork. Must get back to that!