3.26.2011

liver cleanse

Alex, David, Ema, and I have been on a liver cleansing diet for 6 weeks now. 6 out of 8. We are loosely following this. I actually haven't been doing the deep cleansing part since I am still nursing and toxins can come out in breastmilk, but I am trying to follow along as best as possible while still listening to my body.

The basic idea of the cleanse is giving your liver a break from foods that bog it down, so it will have a chance to regenerate itself. Thus, enabling it to function better in the future. Foods we have been avoiding: White flour, white sugar, alcohol, red meat and pork, all dairy, some oils, and chicken and eggs the middle month. Foods we have been eating more of: Sourdough and whole wheat breads, fish, vegetables, raw nuts, avocados, coconut, and vegetable and fruit juices. 
This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. I have always been terrified of diets, and even uncomfortable by others doing stuff like this because I felt like I wouldn't have the willpower. But you know what? It has been an awesome experience. Of course I am REALLY looking forward to being done with it and having a dark beer or some ice cream... but it hasn't been nearly as bad or as scary as I was anticipating.

It has opened my eyes to new tastes and gotten us out of our food ruts. I realized how heavily I relied on butter. Really, I put butter on everything.  I have also realized how much I was snacking on processed foods when I didn't think I was. It has gotten Alex and I making oatmeal together every morning too which is so sweet.  I even made a batch of dairy free, sugar free, gluten free muffins that were delicious.

Here is a soup recipe that  I made up that I think is worth sharing:
Coconut & Salmon Soup
1 onion cut up
1 carrot diced
32 oz of broth
2 salmon fillets, cooked and then broken into small pieces
1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
1 fistful of fresh cilantro chopped
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce
some sobo noodles
salt, pepper, & garlic salt to taste

Bake salmon filets until done. Cook sobo noodles. Saute onion and carrot until onion is translucent.
Add everything together.

No comments: