10.27.2011

trying hard

I found out about an amazing artist residency program in Asheville a few days before the deadline to apply happened last week. I had no idea what my chances were at being chosen for the Asheville smART Space Program was, but I scrambled and worked my butt off pulling together a 3-page project proposal and a resume for it. I was happy with what I came up with. 
Here is a sketch I made for my proposal:
It was great to sit down, dream big, and vocalize some ideas I have been wanting to bring to fruition.  


And........ my project was not chosen. 
When I read the rejection email of course there was a little disappointment, however I have to say that the overwhelming feeling I had was triumph. I know that sounds weird, but it harks back to this quote:
If we’re not failing at something on a regular basis, we’re just not trying hard enough.
I feel like in the past I have always taken "safe" chances and stayed within my comfort zone. I have had a lot of success from this and not much failure. And recently I have started to see some failures, and it feels good. I feel like I am finally moving into a place where I am pushing my limits and reaching for my big dreams. 
And it feels wonderful.

3 comments:

wildviolets said...

So sorry you did not get it Kelcey:) Maybe it is not the time for you! I am so proud of you for trying and putting your beautiful work out there!! What a huge accomplishment to get the resume and projects done! You are an amazing artist!!

Anonymous said...

KK, so sorry you didn't get in! I hadn't seen your blog when we talked earlier... But I TOTALLY agree with your sentiment that it is important to be failing, as proof that we are pushing ourselves. Mucho amore to you, and I'll be in touch soon.

belinda marshall said...

the sketch is very beautiful! interesting about the failing thing. hopefully you got some feedback related to it? and now you have some big things done/started :)