1.21.2012

Mr. P

Mary & Mr. P

My childhood elementary school custodian passed away in a house fire yesterday in my home town. I feel surprisingly shaken up by it considering how long ago our lives crossed paths, and how often I thought of him (almost never).
I grew up in a very small town of under 2,000 people. Our school, grades 1-8, had 400 students. Mr. P was the custodian for decades. He was always there, sweeping the floor with one of those wide brooms, or up on a ladder fixing a bulb. He was humble, extraordinarily kind, a jokester, and was in so many ways a guardian angel of my existence inside that building. I have a lot of bad memories about school from those years, but when I think about Mr. P I have nothing but a warm heart.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/20/beloved-couple-dies-in-andover-nh-house-fire/

3 comments:

Erin said...

I know, how sad. I was also struck by how much it affected me. I have nothing but fond memories of him. I always remember him joking with us in the halls at Proctor too. Always a smile and hard worker. Thanks for posting this.

chris said...

this is so sad, so tragic... interesting that i know only 3 people in your old hometown, but this weekend i have heard or read about so many people i know whose lives were touched by this man. i only hope he realized what an impact he made on the children and adults he encountered. he must have been a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for any other informative blog. The place else could I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal manner? I have a challenge that I'm simply now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such info.
Sorel Women's Helen Of Tundra Boot